Friday, February 24, 2012

Short Film Showcase: Nate Golon's Briefcase

You might remember Nate Golon from my posts ages ago about the webseries Workshop.  Recently, Nate released a new short film called Briefcase.



I have to admit, I sometimes think I'm even more critical of short films than I am of scripts.  This probably owes to the fact that I've seen a lot of bad shorts and I'm always convinced that I would have avoided making such glaring mistakes.  Each of my own shorts made me a better filmmaker and so naturally, my gut reaction is to nitpick shorts that perhaps fall short of what I consider to be my ability.

That why I was surprised when Nate's film held my interest all the way through.  As I told him in an email, I can't claim to completely understand the ending, but the pacing, editing and overall execution was smooth enough to keep my attention until the end.  Nate avoids a trap so many short film directors fall into - over-directing.  Some guys are so determined to show off their "eye" that their composition and editing becomes a liability rather than an asset.  Nate gets some good angles, here, but he's practices restraint.

If you're so inclined, here's the Facebook page for Briefcase.

1 comment: