Thursday, August 9, 2012

Bitter makes a completely unprofessional (and nerdy) puppet-to-puppet pitch to ALF

Like any good child of the 80s, I grew up on ALF episodes.  In fact, when my family got our first VCR one of the first shows we recorded (and then watched again and again) was ALF.  There are some episodes I rewatched so many times that even after a two-decade hiatus between viewings, I found I remembered specific lines and even inflections upon viewing them in a recent DVD marathon.

Look, I was such a crazy ALF fanboy that I even watched and enjoyed the 1996 TV-movie Project ALF.

That's why yesterday's Hollywood Reporter story about ALF getting his own feature film inspired, not outrage over another reboot, but excitement at seeing my favorite Melmacian on screen again.  I was too giddy to be bitter.  And, well, an un-bitter Bitter can be an ugly sight.  Especially when he's got his own YouTube channel and decides to speak to ALF puppet-to-puppet.

Seriously, don't watch this.  There's a lot of fanboyism and obscure trivia.  And pleading.  And singing.... ohhhhh, the singing....



Don't look at me. I warned you.  That's it - no more Tabby Paw Pie for me before bedtime!

And yes, I really do have a Burger King limited edition "Cooking with ALF" puppet and record back at my parents' house.  My brother also still has his complete collection of ALF comics.

One reason I'm really excited is that ALF creator Paul Fusco is one of the minds behind this new movie.  That ensures the magic will still be there.  Plus, it's a little gratifying to know that he's spent twenty years trying to revive this character in a big way and finally ALF's time has come again.  At the very least, that's gotta excite you on behalf of a fellow writer.

Who feels like dancing?

6 comments:

  1. A child of the '80s, hey? I had always assumed you were much older than me. You must be extra bitter for your age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were older too. You seem too authoritative to be an 80s kid. Maybe I'm just taking way too long to grow up.

    On a more content-related note, I had no idea that it was possible to know that much about ALF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you do get the writing gig, can you please convince the producers to keep ALF as a puppet and not turn him into CGI?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! As it is, I've already spent the last two days in denial that their announcement of CG in the film doesn't necessarily mean that ALF himself has to be CG.

      I know. That's naive... But I'm clinging to it until I hear otherwise.

      Delete
  4. Puppet content needs to come back. And in a big way. Most of the reason why I enjoyed The Muppets (2011) extended far beyond the actual movie. I was more excited by the idea that Hollywood might actually make MORE of these.

    On a more content-relevant note (borrowing that from Artemisia), my uncle was a huge ALF fan. He had his mask. It always terrified me, to be honest. But I think this entry has me interested enough to at least check out a YouTube video.

    ReplyDelete