Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Puppet returns to YouTube on Future World!

As promised, my appearance on Future World's New In Box is here!

The hook of the show is that host Chris Waild asks people what childhood toy they always wanted but never got. With that list in hand, this taller (seriously guys, Chris is a giant), thinner Santa Claus takes to the internet and supplies the toy, which is then unboxed on video before its new owner.


When the invitation was extended to me to appear on New in Box, the obvious question was "What to ask for?" My instant impulse was "Castle Greyskull!" I owned a lot of He-Man action figures (and even a She-Ra, which I got no end of shit for when I was a kid), but never had the coveted playset. However, that thing is huge and I knew there was no way my wife would let me bring it in the house. Ditto for my second choice, the Ghostbusters Firehouse. This led me to the next most obvious toy: Optimus Prime.

None of you will believe this, but I swear I didn't think about the straight line from Optimus Prime to the Michael Bay Transformers films to my book about Michael Bay. For one thing, I had no idea that Chris was going to purchase my book and become perhaps its biggest fan. When you watch the video, I know it looks like this was a brilliantly Machiavellian scheme on my part to turn the whole thing into a commercial for MICHAEL F-ING BAY: The Unheralded Genius in Michael Bay's Films, but I wish I was that clever.

Nor did I expect Chris to give such a passionate plug. My assumption that the mention of the book would be limited to a passing mention in my introduction. The effusive praise for everything about the book? That's all Chris, and in fact, the uncut version of that was probably almost twice as long!

But he's a smart guy, so you should go here and buy my book. It's only $4.99 on Kindle!

I really, really enjoyed appearing on the show. Chris and his team were a delight and it was some of the most fun I've had shooting a video with the puppet. I even got a cool toy out of it!

Future World's YouTube Channel can be found here.
Future World's Twitter: @ftrwrld
All episodes of New in Box are collected in this playlist.


No comments:

Post a Comment